You have the choice to erase one incident from your past, as though it never happened. What would you erase and why?
I would not erase a single moment. Why? Because every single thought and action that ever existed in my consciousness has contributed to who and what I am today. If I remove any of that, then perhaps I would not even be sat here blogging. Perhaps my path in life would take me in a completely different direction.I cannot imagine being outside of me. I can imagine me in every kind of situation but I am always in there. This me, this being who stares out from behind the face that is reflected in the computer screen, is the only thing I know.. Right here. Right now. Because of my past. In spite of my past. If I erase any of it that me will most surely disappear, along with this blog and the reality we are sharing right now. If nobody reads this blog does it really exist?
All my thoughts in this moment are a representation of every single moment of time I have experienced to this point, which in itself is ever changing and moving and contains the past, present and future. I cannot pin down the NOW anymore than I can erase an atom of who I am.
For example, the experience I am currently having is that of reading The Daily Prompt which is asking me ‘have I ever truly felt déjà vu, the sensation that you’ve already had the experience you’re currently having?’ In this instance the answer is a very clear No. I have never read this prompt before nor written this blog.
This blog exists only here. Only now.
Present, past, future. Are they all the same moment? The Now.
It reminds me of a wonderful Sci-Fi story by Ray Bradbury called A Sound of Thunder
If you have never read it take a look. It has opened a debate at times amongst the scientific community about time travel and chaos theory. If the past is altered does it affect the present?
We have no evidence from a time traveler, to my knowledge, to suggest it does but if the answer were postulated as a yes, then a change in the present moment would logically alter the future. Except that because it is the future you cannot know what the outcome would have otherwise been. Looking back and looking forward convince me that whilst it might be difficult to pin down, the only time worth really discovering is NOW.
What do other bloggers think?
- Daily Prompt: Erasure | LooknWalk
- Daily Prompt: Erasure | Alastair’s Blog
- Erasure | thelissachronicles
- Leave My Memory, Walk Away | So You Think You Can Think
- Erasure | Angel Frouk
- Ilya Fostiy. Amnesia | Philosophy & Photography
- 12:3 Daily Prompt: Erasure | Family Photos Food & Craft
- Erasure | The Silver Lining of the Optimistic Pessimist
- Erasure | Sweet Somethings
- Once More, and This Time With Feeling | Day of the Week Fat Pants
- Afraid of What I Might See | Daily Prompt: Erasure | likereadingontrains
- All Aboard Pink Express | Misifusa’s Blog
- How To Live With Failure | The Jittery Goat
- That’s life | Spunky Wayfarer
- Daily Prompt: Erase The Bad, Embrace The Good | Creative Mysteries
- Me and I | calliopes lyre
- Aside 23: Erasure? | Excerpts from the Life of RDZ
- A love / hate kind of thing. (Rated PG!) | thoughtsofrkh
- Andy Bell and Vince Clarke?? You Have Me Confused Daily Post.. | Natalie Elizabeth Beech
- Daily Prompt: Erasure « Mama Bear Musings
- March Daily Prompt: Erase Nothing | Portofolio Prita
- Daily Prompt: Erasure | Daddy’s Naughty Little Girl
- Top 10 Magic Eraser Moments | Stuphblog
- On Second Chances. | Share, My Dad Says.
- Daily Prompt: But you left a trace on the data backroad that I almost erased | emma wolf
- if I had a chance | thematticuskingdom
- Daily Prompt: Erasure | The test | They call me Mummy
- Daily Prompt: Erasure, Failure | Lines by Linda
- Erasure | Kansa Muse on Micro Farming and More
- Dead Nerve | Matthew Vett’s Development Blog
- Gooseberries and Fury | The Daily Dilly Dally
- Daily Prompt: Erasure | The Gozum Show
- Erasure – Erasing an Incident From the Past | Beyond Beauty Tips
- So Many Choices, So Much Impact. « Sorta-Ginger
- Temptations | Ald+R
- Daily Post: Erasure | tel-uh-vizh-uh-ner-ee
- Daily Prompt: Erasure | Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
- I would erase it, if I could | World’s heritage travel
- Tardis | theloneshewolf
- Erasure | The Nameless One
- This Could Have Turned Out So Differently | So I Went Undercover
- Daily Prompt: Two Wrongs | One Starving Activist
- DP: Erasure | Life of Me and Mine
- Erasure – Personal reflections and a little respect | Random Encounters of an Inquisitive Mind