For many of us, winter is blooming into spring, or fall hardening into winter. Which season do you most look forward to?
I am, as the famous line states, A Man for All Seasons.
Maybe it’s the photographer in me. I have a deep and abiding love for all the seasons, and for differing reasons.
Spring is beautiful because it delivers us from Winter (More on Winter later) Spring is a time for Snowdrops and Daffodils, for springy lambs and for blue skies that had seemed a long forgotten pleasure. Spring is when the Earth awakens, comes alive from it’s Winter slumber. Do the birds greet the spring with a new song? It most certainly sounds like it here. Spring brings with it that most wonderful of things. Hope. It’s all just about to get better. Isn’t it?
Summer for me is Festival time. Gathering in a field with musicians, artists, poets and fire side philosophers to right all the wrongs in the world and to drink and be merry till the morning sun reminds us of sleep long lost and past caring for. Summer is a time for sitting in an English garden whilst the sun beats down a gentle warmth, drinking a fine ale as lilting musical waves waft their way about your senses. Strawberry Fields Forever.
Autumn comes dancing into my life to remind me of the season of my birth. Here, all is earthy green and golden brown and you can imagine Pan in his woodland glade piping in the song of this season. Water becomes more abundant and rivers seem to weave their winding pathways towards the sea with more vigor than before. The Earth is damp and pungent and I love to sit and run my fingers through her fertile soil. Blazing golden Beech-woods sing a song of deep and aged beauty and I walk in awe of Autumn time.
Cometh Winter, cometh the darkness. Deep into my self I wander at this time. If only we could really hibernate. I would sleep all the way through. The cold bites and the snow entices with its brilliant white innocent beauty. The snow is however, cold and wet and heartless. It bites. As does Winter. Be warned. This shining White seductress will pull you into a deep and unforgiving coma if you do not remain in charge of your senses and she will show no mercy. None. For all that is Dark about this season it is one that I also cannot live without. I must slumber. I must fall deep into the trance of me once in a while to sift out all that is real from all that is false. Winter bids me take time for this task and I am grateful to her for it.
I cannot and I will not choose one season above another for all four bend and shape me for a year and a day. This cycle of life would not be complete without all the seasons. Life is what it is and I am the better man for it.
Trackbacks & Pingbacks
- My story collection Platypus | Best Adventures of Bzebza, the Bodacious Beetle
- The Cold Season | Death By Any Other Name
- The winter blues | Right Down My Alley
- April Is Not The Cruelest Month | Tony’s Texts
- 8|4 Daily Prompt: Turn, Turn, Turn | Family Photos Food & Craft
- Ah the joys of the mildly tepid days of summer… | thoughtsofrkh
- By George… | Tommia’s Tablet
- Daily Prompt: Turn, Turn, Turn | JUkk
- In Love with Autumn | بيسان
- Life in transition | Polyprotic Amory
- April Showers and March Flowers | Sounding Board
- Daily Prompt: Turn, Turn, Turn, Please! | Reviewer Rose
- Les Boise Lumineux, Idaho | The Jittery Goat
- Daily Prompt: Turn, Turn, Turn 8th, April 2013 | ittikorn1994
- A child for all seasons | Prompt Queen
- Daily Prompt: Turn, Turn, Turn | Of Glass & Paper
- All the lovely colors | Spunky Wayfarer
- No Such Thing as a Cold Season | Daily Prompt: Turn, Turn, Turn | likereadingontrains
- Daily Prompt: Turn, Turn, Turn | Dianaruth’s Journal
- T’is the season … to appreciate everything awesome | Random Encounters of an Inquisitive Mind
- Daily Prompt: Turning of the Seasons | My Daily Prompt Blog
- Daily Prompt: Fall is definitely my favorite! | EMBRACE YOU
- Every Season Is Different | Angel Frouk
- Daily Prompt: Turn, Turn, Turn « Mama Bear Musings
- Daily Prompt: Ode to Falling Joy | One Starving Activist
- Daily Prompt: Turn, Turn, Turn | Completely Disappear
- Spring… | Haiku By Ku
- And the Season Turns – What’s Your Favorite Season? | Stuphblog
- Daily Prompt: Spring Is The New Beginning | Creative Mysteries
- Daily Prompt: Turn, Turn, Turn | Summer Opportunities | C Tonight
- Spring Forward and Falling Back | Kansa Muse on Micro Farming and More
- Turn, turn, turn | thelissachronicles
- Simply Radishing | mycookinglifebypatty
- Daily Prompt: Turn, Turn, Turn | Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
- Daily Prompt: Turn, Turn, Turn | My Atheist Blog
- Where is Winter? | The Nameless One
- The Quiet One | Spring has sprung
- Winter | Matthew Vett’s Development Blog
- hmm, talking about the weather today are we? | Hope* the happy hugger
- Daily Prompt: Turn, Turn, Turn | Burning Fire Shut Up In My Bones
- a Change of Season. | jaycee68
- C’mon let’s plunge again, like we did last summer. | Jill-of-all-Trades
- A spring in my step | Pen Kisses Paper
- Daily Prompt: Turn, Turn, Turn | cognitive reflection
- Gloriously Autumnal | Forever Autumn