Toni Spencer aka Kanzen Sakura is hosting at the bar for this Haibun Monday prompt.
What I would like for us to write about today is fear and how we overcame it, how something frightened us, how something still frightens us. So please, write about something real that actually frightens or frightened you. It can be as simple as the nightmare you had last night or something as complex as phobias – insects, being outside, cats, black cats, dogs, chickens, red cars, the number 13….It can be as simple as walking home in the dark one night and all the night sounds around you. It can be as complex as being afraid someone you love will die. Fears are often not logical. But then, neither is joy! I mean, why should a butterfly make me smile but frighten another person into gibberish? I do not pretend to know.
How to play:
• Write a classic haibun with one to three paragraphs ending with a seasonal haiku. Remember it is to be non-fiction and actually happened or could happen to you.
• Use one of the quotes listed or not, or find your own quote about fear and expand on in your experience
• Link on your page to dVerse Poets Pub
• Publish the link to your poem on Mr. Linky
• Visit other poets, read, and comment on their poems.
• Use social media to publicize your poem if that is what you are into.
• Have fun….or as much fun as you can!
I lie in the bottom bunk eyes forced wide open. Sleep is of no comfort to me these days. I fear going there. Gravity of the inevitable pulls me downward and it is not long before the kingdom of dreams opens it’s door to my subconscious. I should qualify. The kingdom of Nightmares. Recurring and repetitive. I know what is to come and I fear fear itself.
I am crossing the same road every time. To the corner shop. Tantalizingly open. My legs fail at the same point every night. Just plain give up on me. No more functionality. Total paralysis. Everything slows down to a death crawl. I try endlessly to drag my self out of the path of the onrushing car. My arms are not strong enough. I am not quick enough. I can’t do it. I…….wake sweating and screaming.
Mum comes and helps me back to sleep despite my protestations. I am now trapped between the points on a railway track. The train hurtles towards me every night sounding a long low whistle of remembrance. It knows who I am. It’s coming for me. It’s coming for me. It’s coming for me. It’s coming for me. I scream in the dream and in the room. Mum is there again. Rocking me back to sleep.
hush now my child
spring sun will rise tomorrow
rocks me back to hell